Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Use/Behaviors

I was in the park the other day and I wanted to observe two people, while I was trying to choose the people I was going to spot for 15 minutes, my eyes shifted in one direction as I saw a mother and her 5 years old daughter playing peekaboo in the playground. I sat and observed them for 15 minutes and named 20 of their actions: the mom was chasing the little girl, the girl kept on running, the daughter hid behind the tree, the mom pretended not to see her, the mom shut her eyes and began counting out loud, the mother turns around and begins her search for her daughter, the daughter was giggling behind the tree, the mom was pretending not to see her, finally the mom yells "I got you, you little monster,"the little girl was trying to run away, but her mom caught her and whispered in her ear, the girl began jumping of joy saying "YES, YES," the little girl walks towards her mom, the mom reaches her hand out, the girl grabs her mothers hand and holds it tight, then they both walked towards the ice cream stand. After watching them for 15 minutes, I sat down for another 15 minutes and did the same thing as I did the first time around however I would only name the actions that effected me or touched me in a way. Here are the next 20 actions that I felt effected me: as the mom and the daughter walked away the daughter gabbed her mom's leg so tight, the mom began caressing her daughter's head, the daughter started kissing her, when they arrived to the ice cream stand the daughter began crying our of nowhere, she was screaming "I lost my doggii" (turns out doggi is her teddy bear), the mom is searching everywhere for doggi frantically, the mom and the daughter run back to where they were playing, and a huge smile appears on the daughters face, she grabs doggi and hugs him really tight, the mom looks relaxed again, the mother picks her daughter up and walks towards the ice cream booth again, the mom and the daughter are both holding the same ice cream, they walk towards the lawn, the mom takes her camera out and begins to take pictures of her daughter with the biggest smile on her face.

After I looked over the notes I had taken both times I realized that the way we see things does in fact rely on our feelings. In the second list, there were more moments of tenderness, and physical pleasure, more feelings and emotions were noted. In the first list it was more like factual points of what they were doing as appose to my second list, the second list has more depth more love, and these were the things I was feelings while depicting those moments of the daughter and her mother. "Thats what happens when you apply judgement to your observation. You become selective. You edit. You filter the world through your particular prism." -Twyla Tharp

No comments:

Post a Comment